Monday, September 20, 2010

Tale of a 6th grade something

I had a parent come to me with a story the other day. It went like this:

“My daughter (they both will remain nameless- but you know who you are) and I went to the store b/c she wanted to buy some balloons and stuff to decorate a locker at school. She saved up her own money to do it. She had three dollar bills and the rest was all change. For her to do that was a big deal.”

“While we were standing looking at what to buy, I had someone tap me on my shoulder. I looked and it was a young woman holding a baby. She said that she had come to the store to buy baby food and ran out of gas. She was embarrassed to ask for some money for gas. I was in tears b/c I didn’t have any cash at all. That’s when my daughter took the money she was saving and handed it to her. I was so proud of her.”

How amazing is it, when we realize that our lives are meant to be a blessing to others? That our entire existence is to glorify the One that created us? That our reason for being is to serve others so that they see His amazing grace and love? And how amazing is it when we see that lesson lived out in the life of a 6th grade student?

Ephesians 2:10 says, “For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.”

It is when we realize who we are in Him that we can do what we should in Him. Not for personal gain or glory, but all for Him.

So, to you 6th grade student: Thank you for living Jesus in that store, on that day. And to you 6th grade mom: Thank you for sharing and for allowing your student to be Jesus to that woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment