Sunday, July 24, 2011

Baby boy

Two years ago today we were blessed with a bundle of chaotic joy.  We named him Brock because we like the strength of the old English name but didn't realize that it would fit him so well.  Just this past week he gave me a black eye with a well placed headbutt!

But we are very thankful and blessed to have him with us.  See we never thought we were going to have another biological child after our first one.  We experienced secondary infertility. ( Parenting Magazine) We tried for years to have another and with each failed pregnancy test we began to give up hope.  We knew several people that had used different medications and medical procedures but we had decided that wasn't right for us.  We reasoned that if God was going to bless us with another child, He would in His time.

But I'll admit it became very discouraging.  We resigned ourselves that Jenna would be it.  Not that we were saddened by this, she is an amazing young woman who makes our lives richer everyday.  But we wanted so desperately to add to our little family.

Tori and I sat at Steak n Shake eating dinner while Jenna was with my parents and her cousin.  Tori stopped eating and looked at me for a moment.  I wasn't sure what she was going to say, so I just said "What?"

She said that she was "late" and asked if we should get a pregnancy test.  Hope rose deep within my heart, but I tempered that and said it couldn't hurt just to check.  It was only a little bit of money, and we would know for sure we weren't, then just move on like all the other times.  So we hit Wal Mart and bought the test, took it home and the result was the same as all the others- negative. 

After so many negatives you just get used to it, so it was no shock or big deal and we went on with our night.

The next morning was Thanksgiving day and we all sat on the couch watching the Thanksgiving day parades on TV.  For some reason Tori quickly got up and left the room.  She came back a few moments later holding something in her hand and looking like she had just seen a ghost.

"I wanted to go back and check the test one more time.  Here, look."

I reached out and took the stick.  I didn't understand what I was looking at because it now showed positive.  My heart started beating faster and tears came to my eyes.  We stared at each other in disbelief and Jenna was so confused she just kept asking "What? What? What is it?"

We started to cry and explained to Jenna that she was going to have a little brother or sister soon.  We jumped in some clothes and quickly got several more tests that all came out positive!  We still don't know why that first test initially showed negative only to show positive the next morning.

These last two years have gone by in a blink of an eye.  But Tori and I are so blessed with the children God entrusted to us that we can't imagine life any other way.

Brock is our baby boy.  He lives up to his name's meaning of badger.  He's fearless, stubborn, energetic, sweet, rotten all at the same time.  And as he blew out his birthday candles for the millionth time, I couldn't help but think back to that day and the joy we have on this day.

Blessings

1 comment: