Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Stereotypes and authenticity

Our talk tonight centers around stereotypes/ judging people by looks.  It's about how we all try on different identities through out our lives, depending on where we are in life. Over the last week I've been looking at my own life and my walk w/ Christ.  I've come to the conclusion that many times my ministry is what I use to have people accept me.  The rush from a well delivered sermon, the ability to communicate Christ's love effectively:  These are all things that can and do hinder my walk.  Instead of constantly reflecting God's glory, sometimes my own gets in there as well.

I remember in high school and college, I tried on identities like socks.  Some days I was the prep, others the jock.  I even went through a punk phase where I only wore clothes from the Salvation Army!  The problem was, none of them were truly me.  I wasn't living as Christ designed me!  I was not living like his son.  It was like living life as a counterfeit or living a story different from my own.

It wasn't until many years later...after I had been in ministry several years that I was able to begin to allow my real identity to shine through.  It was difficult and many times I still revert back.  But being real, authentic, being who Christ made me, frees me to live life differently.  Jesus said, "I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."  That's who we are.  That's who I strive to be.  Who are you?

God bless

No comments:

Post a Comment